These are undoubtedly challenging times. As we start the week I wanted to share our approach to supporting our young people as a school community and to also inform you, that in light of Fridays events, the Teachers Union has postponed all union meetings until further notice.
Supporting our Young People
Today at assembly we will be sharing some basic messages with our students.
1. We acknowledge the events of Friday without going into any detail
2. We will discuss the importance of accepting how we are feeling. There is no ‘right’ way to feel.
3. Now, more than ever, is a time to show kindness, compassion and respect within our school community.
4. Teachers are here to listen should children need to speak with someone. Teachers will encourage children to speak with family members.
5. Finally we are lucky to live in a country that in the face of great darkness we respond by coming together and demonstrating great kindness and support.
Please click here for information from the Ministry of Education. This may be useful if your children are wanting to discuss how they are feeling in light of Fridays events.
‘Waiho i te toipoto, Kaua i te toiroa’
‘Let us keep close together not far apart’